varlock and varrun

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Mon Apr 16 15:13:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 10:45 +0200, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wrote:
>
> > I generated a minimal edgy system by debootstrap, copied that system
> > to a machine with fresh formatted partitions and installed a kernel
> > and a bootloader. After rebooting, the machine did not fully come up
> > and I found out that the reason for that was that /var/lock and
> > /var/run had not been mounted. After some investigation I found out
> > that /var/lock and /var/run should be mounted by S01mountkernfs.sh and
> > I wonder how that is possible when S35mountall.sh is run later,
> > because the mountpoints /var/lock and /var/run cannot be present
> > before mounting /var, what normally should be done by S35mountall.sh.
> >
> > In spite of that, after a normal CD-installation the machine boots
> > successfully. But I cannot find the significant difference between a
> > CD-installation and my debootstrap-installation.
> >
> > Does anybody know why mounting /var/lock and /var/run works ok after
> > installing from CD?
>
> Does really nobody here know how Ubuntu manages to mount /var/lock and
> /var/run before /var? In a user technical support list?
>
> Regards
>   Christoph

Is it possible that the startup scripts either get moved to another init
level after installation, or that they are re-prioritized ?
(I'm not sure of the answer, but I'd be very curious to find out.
Googling hasn't helped much on this front, so I'm trying to think
logically about how it would be possible).