Linux / Ubuntu Friendly Harware

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Mon Apr 16 10:14:38 UTC 2007

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am planning to upgrade my computer soon and I would like some advice on
> the hardware configuration.
>
> What I plan to do:
>
> Install Ubuntu
> Use it as a standard desktop for Internet browsing and Multimedia.
>
> I'd like the folowing configuration (or similar):
>
> AMD CPU (parallel to a standard Intel P4 or Intel P4 Dual Core)
> Best Motherboard
> 1Gb (1024 Mb)
> 160Gb - 250Gb HD
> An nVidia PCI-E Video Adapter with at least 128MB memory (For OpenGL / 3D
> Hardware)
>
> I already have a DVD-RW w/ LightScribe I plan to move to the new machine
> (BTW - What's the status regarding LightScribe and Ubuntu?)
>
> Any pointers / suggestions regarding brands or even better - specific
> models?

    Unlike SCO and others, Linux is usually pretty happy on all
legitimate hardware.  A USB television or printer-port-based scanner and
other silly ideas are about the only thing with problems, and I don't
know how much of a problem they are, these days.

    Linux is very adaptable; they've done a great job.

    I do find that, while I *like* AMD as a challenge to the
near-monopoly of Intel, the VIA chip sets are a bit slower. And even the
cheesy, built-in Intel 3D cards do a surprisingly fine job.  There's a
little i810-series built-in on my brother's Dell- it flies through
unreal tournament.  And I didn't tweak it or do anything to optimize it.

    Normally, to get that fast in 3D, you'd have to buy an after-market
card. Just stay away from 'fad' hardware and you should be fine.

    And don't think that, because Windows requires a dual-core, 4+Ghz
CPU and tons of memory, Linux is more conservative in it's resources.
There really aren't high-dollar video games for Linux, and unless you're
data-mining or something abnormal, even was you might consider 'slow'
hardware will get a lot done. As a rule of thumb, that which is
competent on a desktop in Windows is an ample server in Linux.  At least
that's the way it's been for the last 10 years or so I've been paying
attention.

- --
 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller