Seeking advice about RAID

Scott Medling scott.medling at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 06:54:40 UTC 2007

I use mdadm to manage a software RAID 5 array.  The man page is thorough and
there are plenty of online resources.  There is no GUI that I know of, but
you can set it up to self-monitor and e-mail you if there is a problem so I
haven't really interacted with mdadm much since I got it up and running.

Given the lack of time generally spent dealing with the array, I wouldn't go
with hardware RAID unless you need it for the performance advantage (which
is slight IMO if your CPU isn't maxed).

-Scott