cannot open system/admin/printing, cups errors, cups server could not be contacted...

Scott Lockwood scott at guppylog.com
Sat Apr 14 12:01:30 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 13:36 +0200, gerhard wrote:
> How do I access this file? what commands do I type?

It's just a text file, so use which ever editor you like. Personally, I
like nano. vi works just as well, as does emacs, jed, pico, etc. try
'sudo nano -w /etc/hosts' and make sure that it looks, at least
somewhat, like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 scott-640m.checkgiant.com scott-640m
0.0.0.0 www.google-analytics.com

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Now, you don't have to have the 127.0.1.1 line, but I find it useful to
have my hostname there and leave 127.0.0.1 as localhost. the 0.0.0.0
line is my black hole for google-analytics.com. Why? Because neopets.com
is using it, and it was slowing down playing on the site for me, so I
killed it. The rest is all defaults.

--
Regards,
Scott Lockwood