cannot open system/admin/printing, cups errors, cups server could not be contacted...

Scott Lockwood scott at guppylog.com
Sat Apr 14 10:59:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 08:20 +0200, gerhard wrote:

> > Active Internet connections (servers and established)
>
> I get this
>
> > Active Internet connections (servers and established)
> > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
> > tcp        0      0 gerhard:ipp             *:*                     LISTEN
> > tcp6       0      0 ip6-localhost:ipp       *:*                     LISTEN
> > udp        0      0 *:ipp                   *:*
> > Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
> > Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path
> > unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     28479    /var/run/cups/cups.sock
> > unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     52635    /var/run/cups/cups.sock

How odd. Snipping it down to this, it looks like cups is running, and
and you're listening for ipp requests, which if I'm not mistaken is
'internet printing protocol'. So, what do you see at
http://localhost:9100/ ?

Also, did you install any other printing 'stuff' like the hp stuff? Both
coexist just fine usually, I'm just trying to eliminate whatever is
preventing you from getting to the cups management page.

--
Regards,
Scott Lockwood