Where is my 2G? - MC

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Fri Apr 13 20:13:55 UTC 2007

Brian Astill <bastill at adam.com.au> wrote:

> On Thursday 12 April 2007 11:08, Scott Lockwood wrote:
>> > THE cause of all the trouble is Midnight Commander (from
>> > root) accepting my instructions to copy /home to an
>> > _unmounted_  /dev/hdb7.
>>
>> That is NOT a problem with Midnight Commander. That's what mc
>> is SUPPOSED to do.
>
> Sorry, Scott, you have misread the issue.  NOTHING should write to
> an UNMOUNTED partition - it shouldn't even be aware of its
> availability.

Programs can't write to unmounted partitions (except for writing to the
raw device if they have permissions to do so)

> If MC HAD written to the unmounted /mnt/hdb7, then there wouldn't
> have been a problem.  It didn't.  It just clogged up its source
> partition, hda2.

/mnt/hdb7 is not an unmounted partition but a directory like any other
directory on your "/" file system. The system dooesn't know that you
want to mount a partition there.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>