Where is my 2G? - MC

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri Apr 13 17:19:27 UTC 2007

On 04/13/2007 04:28 AM, Scott Lockwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 22:43 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> That helps me learn.
>>

> Check out the books I reccomended. Also, your original post said that
> you
Uhh, not me actually, I'm just lurking and trying to learn from other's
misfortune.
> were copying to /dev/ not to /mnt/ - there is a HUGE difference.
> BOTH can be done. One will prove fatal to the unmounted file system in
> question, the other will simply 'hide' things if you later mount a drive
> on that directory. Both are normal, expected behavior.

Ok, so I get what happens if you try to copy to the mount point with
nothing mounted there. Since the mount point is just a directory, the
files go there, when you later mount something there, the files are hidden.

So what happens if I try to copy files to a unmounted partition?
And, if you don't mind, why is that the expected / design behavior?
Thanks.