cannot open system/admin/printing, cups errors, cups server could not be contacted...

gerhard gertkoen at telkomsa.net
Thu Apr 12 19:43:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 12:30 -0700, Phillip Crumm wrote:
> > I tried uninstalling cups through synaptic and was unable to, it said
> > that there were errors and they needed to be fixed first, but when I
> > tried to fix, it said it was unable to fix.
>
> You could try "dpkg -r cups" -- if nothing else, it may be able to give
> you a slightly more helpful error message (or, if you got one, what was
> it?)
>
> > I keep getting the "cups server could not be contacted" [snip]
>
> That probably means you have it listening in the wrong place. Exactly what
> did you change in the configuration file? What error message(s) are you
> getting? Is that is specific as they get?

I cant remember what I changes and just followed documentation on how to
install a network printer through cups.  I am new to linux/ubuntu. I
dont get error message just that cups server could not be contacted when
I go to system/admin/printing. I cant even setup my local printer and
get the same message

"dpkg -r cups" I get this
 dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove cups which isn't installed.