Icon Idiocy in Gnome

Michael S. Peek peek at tiem.utk.edu
Thu Apr 12 13:27:13 UTC 2007

Ari Torhamo wrote:
> su, 2007-04-08 kello 09:01 -0400, peek kirjoitti:
>
>> Of the two flavors of Debian I have used (Debian proper and it's
>> spin-off Ubuntu), this symptom has popped up on both.  Sometimes when
>> I insert removable media, either disk or USB, the icon that Gnome
>> places on the desktop winds up on top of an existing icon.
>>
>> For me, it's nothing more than a minor annoyance -- click an icon and
>> drag it aside.  But for my users, some of whom are not very
>> computer-savvy, this could be a confusing headache.  And it would seem
>> to go against the mantra that the Gnome developers are always
>> chanting: "Do not confuse the user, do not confuse the user..."
>>
>> Why does this happen?  And is it something I can fix myself or is it a
>> problem within Gnome?
>>

> I think most people feel that if you call a persons work idiocy, then
> you are implying that the person himself is an idiot. There can't be
> idiots developing Gnome - the damn thing is way too good :-) (I know you
> propably didn't want to call anybody an idiot :-) Thanks for all who
> keep making Gnome better and better.

Oh no!  I certainly had no intention of calling the Gnome developers
idiots.  My mistake and my apologies to the Gnome crew.  It just looks
like one of those bugs that, as a software developer, makes me go
"D'oh!" in my best Homer Simpson voice every time I see it.

> About the problem - I have experienced this too fairly recently, but it
> doesn't happen often. It was much more common in the past. It really
> makes an unpolished impression when it happens. It would be good to know
> if there's some specific action/state that triggers this behaviour -
> I'll try to take a note when/if this happens again.

It doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough that I wanted to try
to find an answer.

Michael