[Dapper] Best way to access speech?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 12 08:46:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:32:37 -0500
Brian Fahrlander <brian at fahrlander.net> wrote:

> I'd like something that
> announces the time regularly, AND allows me to echo text to /dev/speech
> and hear it aloud.  Things like "Take your pills" and "Wake up for
> transport" and other reminders, in case I'm not on the computer.
>
>     Has anyone done something like this?

Try something like this:

echo "Take your pills" | festival --tts

Or put something in a file:

echo "take your pills" >> pill-reminder

cat pill-reminder | festival --tts

For a one-off reminder, use the "at" command

at 4 pm <enter>
at> cat pill-reminder | festival --tts <enter>
at> <EOT>
 ( ctrl +D on a separate line)

You could put this in a cron job that calls the command as a script, I
guess ( I haven't tried it, but you get the idea I hope)

You can try

date | festival --tts

for the time - but it isn't very clear here :) Someone will no doubt have
a better way to do this ...

Peter