Where is my 2G? - MC

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Thu Apr 12 02:16:21 UTC 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007 11:08, Scott Lockwood wrote:
> > THE cause of all the trouble is Midnight Commander (from
> > root) accepting my instructions to copy /home to an
> > _unmounted_  /dev/hdb7.
>
> That is NOT a problem with Midnight Commander. That's what mc
> is SUPPOSED to do.

Sorry, Scott, you have misread the issue.  NOTHING should write to
an UNMOUNTED partition - it shouldn't even be aware of its
availability.
If MC HAD written to the unmounted /mnt/hdb7, then there wouldn't
have been a problem.  It didn't.  It just clogged up its source
partition, hda2.

--
Regards,
Brian