Where is my 2G? - MC

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Thu Apr 12 00:02:01 UTC 2007

So far, I have:
	ls -lar | grep hdb7
	fdisk -L
	lsof | grep deleted
	mount    mount -a      mount
	tune2fs -l /dev/hdb7
	used Baobab to search for .Trash and
	examine the filesystem.
The only odd thing is that baobab lists BOTH /home and  /mnt/hdb7
as if they are separate items, thereby falsely reporting the
total size.  No other output indicates any problem.

THE cause of all the trouble is Midnight Commander (from root)
accepting my instructions to copy /home to an
_unmounted_  /dev/hdb7.  It's reports of progress were entirely
normal, until it began to complain of lack of disk space - which
was nonsense, as i was copying 3.7G onto a 12G partition.
Obviously, MC was copying to "somewhere" on hda2, which is why
that partition became totally full and unusable until I used a
live CD to copy /home to a _mounted_ /dev/hdb7, then delete the
original /home.

QUESTION:
Where has MC put the files it "copied" to hda2 - and how can I
find and delete them?

PS  "Where is my 2G? - Ubuntu BUG" describes bad Ubuntu behaviour
dealing with the above situation.

--
Regards,
Brian