Upgrade to edgy: can't resolve courier packages dependency

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Apr 11 16:48:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 12:08 +0100, marc wrote:
> Is there anything further that can be done? I really don't care at
> this
> point whether courier (or the rest of the email system) can be
> retrieved.

You can try to "dpkg -r" (remove) instead of "dpkg -i" (install) the
package (with--force-all as above). Getting this package to react to
commands again is the main issue here (and frankly, I have never before
seen a package that was in such a bad installation state that it even
resisted a -i --force-all). Without achieving  this, the package
management will resist any further useful action.

After success (hopefully) it will either finish the upgrade smoothly, or
it might still  require to remove some courier packages, but this should
be no problem since the configuration will remain (unless you use
"purge" instead or "remove" with aptitude), and your data will remain
anyway.