AMD 64 Dual Core only using one Core (was Re: Going from i386 AMD 64 Dual Core)

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Mon Apr 9 21:37:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 14:48 -0400, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
> > Ben Edwards wrote:
> >>
> >> Do I have to use the amd64 distribution to use both cores?
> >>

> > No, you need an SMP kernel to use both cores.  I thought the default
> > Ubuntu Kernels were SMP, but I could be wrong, and can't verify right now.
>
> I am almost certain the default is not SMP.  It's quite simple to check.
>  It doesn't require actually monitoring the CPUs.  Just do:

The default in dapper was the -386 kernel, which is not SMP-enabled. The
default in edgy and feisty are -generic, which _are_ SMP-enabled.

If you've installed dapper and upgraded, you're likely still using the
-386 kernel, but if you installed edgy or feisty fresh, you're liking
using the -generic kernel.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/