Can't Boot after latest Feisty Upgrade

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Mon Apr 9 02:23:32 UTC 2007

On 04/08/2007 06:41 PM, John Graddy wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 19:30 -0500, John Graddy wrote:
>> >
>> > Try what I suggested. You can either do it from 13 or 14. My guess is
>> > that there may be an incomplete update floating around in the system
>> > and/or 14 is looking for a device it can't find and eventually times
>> > out. You can check all of the logs etc., etc., but I would first just
>> > try updating again. If after doing that you still experience the same
>> > problems, then dig into the logs etc.
>> >
>> > BTW: Does 13 give the same delay?
>>
>> I'll do as you suggest.
>>
>> No, 13 has no delay at all.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>>

> I tried your suggestions on both the 13 and 14 kernels.  Nothing has changed -
> I still have the large delay in booting.
>
> I have tried to think of anything that I have done that could possibly
> effect a kernel.  The only thing that I can come up with is, - per a
> suggestion on this list, I added "acpi=force" at the end of the "kopt
> line" in menu.lst so that a shutdown would completely shut down my
> system.  I also ran "update grub".  I believe that 14 is the first
> kernel that has been built since I made that change.  could that have
> caused this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> John

That would be my guess. Can you post your /boot/grub/menu.lst?

As I mentioned in that ACPI thread:

I modified /boot/grub/menu.lst to:

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash
# defoptions=quiet splash acpi=force

and

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
##      altoptions=(recovery mode) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single acpi=force

That works (for me). I realize that others pointed to the kopt option,
but I found that the defoptions & altoptions insert the acpi=force properly.

You can also edit your menu.lst, take out the kopt acpi=force, reboot &
see what happens. If it comes right up & you still have problems
shutting down (the original acpi=force issue), then give my suggestion a
try or edit 14 manually:

## ## End Default Options ##

title
root
kernel	/vmlinuz-2.6.20-14-generic root=/dev/maper/yourmachinename-root
ro youroptions acpi-force
initrd
etc.