Going from debian to ubuntu with sources.list , apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 8 23:20:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, 8. April 2007 23:05:52 J F wrote:
> Going from debian to ubuntu with
>
> sources.list , apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
>

> So, I was told to just find a good sources.list from ubuntu (since I use
> kde, probably kubuntu).
> Where is a good sources.list I can cut and past from the web?
Have a look here (german page, but you will find sources.list's for edgy and
feisty):
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/sources.list

> then do a:
> apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
This will not solve all upgrades, you will have to do an
 apt-get dist-upgrade
afterwards.
If you are not (very) skilled in using apt-get in an xterm I would suggest
doing this via synaptic. It's easier to see the dependencies and search for a
solution.

> How likely is it that I will be able to keep working after doing this?
Depends on if you have installed pakets from other sources than debian itself.

> Has anyone done it?
Yep. I did, but from sid to breezy not for feisty.
I had to remove a lot of stuff and reinstall it afterwards to solve some
dependencies.

> Will I lose my settings and other user files?
Depending on the customisation(s) you did for your system settings and
services you are running it might be that you have to do some reconfiguration
afterwards. E.G. for a moinmoin wiki, trac, svn, postfix and others.

> Thanks in advance.
you're welcome :-)

regards,
thomas