desktop of ubuntu server

Troy Davis lists at comstech.com
Sun Apr 8 07:34:35 UTC 2007

Troy Davis wrote:
>> So I have 3 questions
>>
>> How can I boot normally and not automatically start the gui
>> how do I then start the gui manually when I do want to use it
>> What  is the config file called and located so I can change the default
>> screen res for the desktop so I can try and get it to display
>
> Hi,
> 1) when grub loads hit esc and select the recovery mode kernel
> 2) running startx
> 3) You can configure the x server running "sudo dkpg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg" or editing the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
>
> I get command not found when I run dkpg-reconfigure

That's:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Thanks I have found that the only video card for X server that runs is the
vesa but no matter what screen res I choose I end up with a black screen
with nothing on it, I heard the sound from the desktop waiting for username
to be enter but nothing on screen

Help me please

Regards Troy