Can't Boot after latest Feisty Upgrade

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 7 03:07:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:36:51 -0500
John Graddy <jwgraddy at valornet.com> wrote:

> I have installed all updates since Herd 2 was made available.  The
> update today (6 April)  built a new Kernel (2.6.20-14).  After updating,
> I can't boot.  I can drop back to 2.6.20-13 and boot successfully.  I
> fully expected to get a notification that updates were available, but I
> don't get such a notification.

For troubleshooting purposes, I would try booting the new kernel in
"rescue" mode - you can choose this from the grub menu on boot ( hit <esc>
to get a menu if you don't get one by default)

See if the new kernel boots to s root prompt ( # prompt) . If it does, you
can run something like  "  dmesg >> /home/yourusername/dmesg.dump " This
should give you a file in your home directory with a record of what
happened during boot, which might give you some clues what went wrong. You
might want to submit a bug report against linux-source-2.6.20  on launchpad
and attach that file, and the output of  lspci -vvn
( same method; lspci -vvn >> lspci.dump )

This is assuming a fix is not in the works, and there are no other bugs
that look similar, of course...

Try a search at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs

For instance,