Edgy update problem(s)

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Thu Apr 5 06:47:49 UTC 2007

Mario Vukelic said...
> On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 03:34 +0100, marc wrote:
> > Using Synaptic's "Apply", the result is:
> >
> >   E: /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.1.1ubuntu6.2_i386.deb:
> > trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/bin', which is also in package xli
> >

> > So, the problem is with /usr/X11R6/bin, but how to fix it?
> >
> > (Since there seems to be a conflict with the xli package, I looked at
> > removing it, but it would remove ubuntu-desktop, all xserver packages
> > and a more, so that's not an option.)

I squashed the Debconf dialogues via:

  sudo dpkg-reconfigure debconf

and changing "kde" to "dialog".

> I would try
>
> dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%
> 3a7.1.1ubuntu6.2_i386.deb
>
> This will install x11-common by overwriting the /usr/X11R6/bin directory

Okay, thanks, this worked :-)

However, though most of the update went through, there are a few more
issues. I now have:

  $ aptug
    courier-base: Depends: courier-authlib but it is not installable
    courier-authlib-userdb: Depends: courier-authlib but it is
     not installable
                            Depends: courier-authlib (>= 0.58) but it is
     not installable

  $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
  dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration
        of courier-authlib-userdb:
   courier-authlib-userdb depends on courier-authlib; however:
    Package courier-authlib is not installed.
   courier-authlib-userdb depends on courier-authlib (>= 0.58); however:
    Package courier-authlib is not installed.
  dpkg: error processing courier-authlib-userdb (--configure):
   courier-authlib-userdb

So:

  $ sudo aptitude install courier-authlib-userdb

    courier-authlib: Conflicts: courier-authdaemon (< 0.58)
    but 0.47-13ubuntu5.1 is installed and it is kept back.
  Resolving dependencies...
  E: I wasn't able to locate file for the courier-authdaemon package.
   This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
  Upgrade the following packages:
  courier-authdaemon [0.47-13ubuntu5.1 (now) -> 0.58-4ubuntu1 (edgy)]

  Score is 0

  dpkg: error processing courier-authdaemon (--remove):
   Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
   reinstall it before attempting a removal.
  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
    what():  basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid
  Aborted (core dumped)
   courier-authdaemon

Okay, so:

  $ sudo aptitude install courier-authdaemon

    courier-authlib
    courier-authdaemon
  1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 14 to remove and 149 not
upgraded.
  Need to get 0B/83.9kB of archives. After unpacking 26.3MB will be
freed.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y

  Writing extended state information... Done
  dpkg: error processing courier-authdaemon (--remove):
   Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
   reinstall it before attempting a removal.
  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
    what():  basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid
  Aborted (core dumped)
   courier-authdaemon

So, I'm stuck in a loop again. Any help much appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Marc