eye-friendly refresh rate?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Tue Apr 3 22:39:21 UTC 2007

ti, 2007-04-03 kello 21:52 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez kirjoitti:

> Yeah, me too ! I have a Nec Multisync too ("M700" model), with similar
> capabilities (31 to 69KHz). 60Hz is indeed horrible, so I set the
> resolution to 1152x864, and it manages 75Hz. Only problem is that this
> resolution, in between 1024x768 and 1280x1024, is apparently not very
> common, and none of the Ubuntu version since Warty, have ever managed
> to offer it out of the box, so every time I install Ubuntu, I must edit
> xorg.conf by hand to get the desired resolution. But apart from that,
> it's great. 1152x864 is not to large, not too small. it's the ideal
> resolution for this particular monitor I find.

Thanks for reminding me of 1152x864. I'm using a 17" CRT and 1280x1024
is a little too high resolution for it. I can use a refresh rate of 83
Hz then, but the picture isn't sharp enough - it's not terribly blurry,
but not really nice either. On the other hand the screen gets cramped
with 1024x768. 1152x864 is a good compromise and I just changed to
it :-) Perhaps I can now keep my self from buying a 24" 1920x1200 LCD a
little longer and save some money :-)

It's suprising that your NEC can do just 69KHz. It must be a relatively
old model. My 17" Hyundai DeluxScan 7695 from 1998 can do 90KHz, and it
wasn't too expensive.

Ari