java 6 - Edgy

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Tue Apr 3 16:18:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 11:49 -0400, John DeCarlo wrote:

> On 4/3/07, John DeCarlo <johndecarlo at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On 3/31/07, John Dangler <jdangler at atlantic.net> wrote:
>                 I'm trying to install Sun Enterprise Studio 8.1 on an
>                 up to date Edgy
>                 box (latest updates 3-30-07), which already has java 6
>                 bin, runtime, and
>                 jdk installed.  When I run the install script, I keep
>                 getting this
>                 message:
>                 No compatible Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) was
>                 found on this
>                 system.
>
>         John,
>
>         You may have to also install java 5.  I notice the Sun
>         Enterprise Studio web page says it is only certified with Java
>         5.
>
> To follow up, after installing java 5 (aptitude install sun-java5-jre)
> and running "update-java-alternatives -s java-1.5.0-sun" as root, the
> install started to work.  Although I did get an issue with my DISPLAY
> variable not set right, so I ran it from Alt-F2 instead.
I got jstudio to install using java5, but had a lot of other issues on
Linux (of course, Sun only supports Red Hat linux at this point)...
I did install netbeans 5.5 (which uses the later java6 ... , but I can't
run either from the menu, since they cannot start the app server...  i'm
currently running netbeans from a commandline as root just so the app
server will launch to test application development... (lame)

I did manage to get the jdbc connection up and running, though, so i can
connect to mysql...

I also setup apache and tomcat 5.5 on my test box, but for some reason,
jstudio wouldn't even attempt to talk to it... i'll try netbeans later
today and see if that will work...