Ubuntu Server with LTSP in real life

Paul Thompson ubantu001 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 20:58:02 UTC 2007

One thing that a lot of people do not seem to realise is that you can
run an LTSP server on old server hardware and old servers are cheap
and if you check that they have a decent amount of memory before you
buy, can be a really, really good deal.

Of the three servers that I am running LTSP on, One is a Dell
PowerEdge cira 2000, dual Intel 1.3 GHZ 4Gig mem cost $250 NZ The
other an 2003 IBM eserver, dual Zeon 2.0 GHZ 2 gig mem cost $600. The
third one I built myself with dual Operton 2.2 GHZ and 4gig mem not
really a bargain at $2500.

But the thing is that a server that was a really hot piece a few years
ago, is basically junk now but can still be a really good buy for a
LTSP server.

I work for a small company and they really appreciate my efforts to
keep their IT costs down. As Brain says, the smile on my bosses face
(also owner of the company) helps make my job all the more enjoyable.

Since I moved the company to Linux and LTSP, I spend most of my time
developing rather than being a systems admin. The systems just run
them selves.

And by the way the whole company is on Linux (Ubuntu) including all
the laptops and all managements home PC's as well, as I look after
them and I just made it plain that I was not willing to support MS
Windows anymore.

Regards,

Paul