Ubuntu Server with LTSP in real life

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Apr 2 14:16:41 UTC 2007

On Mar 30, 2007, at 9:05 PM, Michael T. Richter wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-30-03 at 03:37 -0500, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>> Second, Paul, that's very cool; I started in LTSP back when
>> Etherboot had just changed over, probably about 1996-97. I had 12
>> users running old tired 486's in a lumber yard, and only a couple
>> of things caused me grief:
>
> Aren't diskless workstations just another word for "single point of
> massive failure"?  I've never understood the appeal in this day and
> age where you can get old P/P2 (and even P3) hardware complete with
> disk for a song and a dance.  What am I missing?

Management, easy deployment of software, and when we ran terminals,
an easy way to remotely troubleshoot and also replace old systems
without losing people's preferences and personalizations.

If you set up a central server with RAID and good backups, or even
use two machines in cluster with heartbeat, you can minimize downtime
as a single point of failure.  I mean, in most setups that are
managed, if your server dies your workers are still up a creek
without a paddle until you get the server back up.  With terminals it
just means they can't play solitaire while waiting for you to get the
server back up.

That's how it was with what we once ran.  It also meant that if you
have a high end server and your workers are in areas of high dirt or
other not-so-computer-friendly areas, they could run applications at
high speed (since it was running on a high-end system located
elsewhere) while the cost of the hardware at their location is table
scraps in the budget.  Even a P/P2 or P3 with a disk you picked up
"for a song" is hard to compete with that, once you factor in
installing software for field deployment when the hardware starts
failing partially due to conditions.

Just all depends on your environment and needs.

-Bart