Cron scripts order of processing - part Two

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Sun Apr 1 12:42:14 UTC 2007

On 2007-04-01, Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Based on reading man cron, it looks like all output will be sent to the
> owner of the cronjob (presumably root).  It also looks like items in
> e.g. /etc/cron.weekly are not run in any particular order.  If you want
> order, it seems you have to use a crontab.  I haven't tested this.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the jobs in
/etc/cron.daily/, cron.weekly/ etc. are called by run-parts.

man run-parts says:

  run-parts runs all the executable files named within constraints
  described below, found in directory directory.
  [By default, filenames not made up entirely of letters, digits,
  underscores and hyphens are ignored.]
  ..
  Files are run in the lexical sort order of their names unless the
  --reverse option is given, in which case they are run in the
  opposite order.

so they are run in "lexical sort" (more or less asciibetical) order.