OpenOffice 2.2 Released - Ubuntu?

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Mon Apr 2 23:47:04 UTC 2007

On 04/02/2007 10:54 AM, Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV wrote:

> I've been doing this ever since breezy - since I really do need up to
> date versions of Open Office.  So far, I've had zero problems with this
> approach.  (If you want to do a major distribution upgrade, though,
> you'll need to uninstall the official Open Office packages and reinstall
> the Ubuntu ones.)

As have I since early Dapper and currently Feisty; I also maintain a
separate Feisty with the Ubuntu version (2.2 non rc3 now thanks to
Matthias Klose & his team) for comparison/debug assist etc.

However (and yes I do understand Dapper is LTS and is supposed to be the
most stable version etc.,) I do think that keeping Dapper frozen at 2.02
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/editors/openoffice.org
is a bit odd. OOo 2.0.2 has come and gone, and subsequent versions of
OOo have addressed some rather significant security and application changes.