osx-like "open" in ubuntu/gnome

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Sat Sep 16 17:36:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

there is a nice osx-command line tool called "open" which is for me a
real killer-app :)

from the osx-man page:

     The open command opens a file (or a directory or URL), just as
if you had
      double-clicked the file's icon. If no application name is
specified, the
      default application as determined via LaunchServices is used to
open the
      specified files.

      You can specify one or more file names (or pathnames), which
are inter-
      preted relative to the shell or Terminal window's current
working direc-
      tory. For example, the following command would open all Word
files in the
      current working directory:

      open *.doc

Is there a similar tool in ubuntu/gnome:  I just would like to type

     open foo.pdf

and evince (or whatever is registered as default app) opens the pdf-
file.

regards,
   Johannes