BitTorrent secrets

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Sep 29 08:30:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 19:16 -0700, talisein wrote:

> I use rtorrent, a C++ based terminal app that has a pretty darned small
> footprint. It is in universe, although I'm running off the svn repository.
> I have a "torrents" folder on my desktop I drag the .torrent file into,
> and rtorrent will automatically start downloading it into a default
> folder that I move it out of once its finnished. So basically I run it
> in a detached screen session and don't have to think about it, while at
> the same time not have java running on half my CPU.
>
> rtorrent does not, however, support the encryption features Azureus does.
> Said encryption -might- help with your download speeds - some ISPs are
> known to throttle bittorrent traffic. The ethics of avoiding this
> throttling is a contentious issue, so I'll leave the decision up to you.

Yes, it turns out my ISP (Pipex) throttles BT traffic to a measly
20kB/s. Apparently they've been doing this since March 2006. Pointless
as I all I'm doing now is downloading using HTTP and getting full
bandwidth!

I'll look into encryption, but reading about it, there seems to be
compatibility issues between clients, so I'm not sure it's quite ready
yet.

Azureus, seems to be a heavy weight client, as many Java apps are!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold