'ati' not 'fglrx' was in my dapper causing X not to start after upgrade to Edgy

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 04:31:06 UTC 2006

'ati' not 'fglrx' was in my 6.06 (Dapper) xorg.conf causing X not to
start in boot after upgrade to Edgy BETA.

ENV: ThinkPad T42p upgrade to Edgy

$ sudo aticonfig --initial
Warning: Could not find configuration file
Please copy configuration file template to /etc/X11

Gave nice cryptic error messages, but I tracked it down thanks to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Make sure that under the "Device" sections, the Driver is set to Driver "fglrx"

(Also looked at
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Edgy_Installation_Guide#Revert_to_Xorg_driver)

This seems like a nasty bug to me, but I am not knowledgeable enough
in this area to know if this is worth filing, so I thought I would at
least email the list.

Cheers,
Lloyd