BitTorrent secrets

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Sep 28 22:13:12 UTC 2006

I'm using Dapper and am trying to get the hang of BitTorrent. I've tried
a number of clients and yet my download speed seems to stay around 15
kilobytes per second, yet my line speed is more like 200 kilobytes per
second (a 2 meg ADSL line).

I've set the port forwarding on my NAT router and opened appropriate
holes in Firestarter. I can see uploads going and incoming connections
on the BT ports (6881-6999). BitTornado reports is connecting to 20
peers for one file!

What clients do others use? I've tried the gnome-btdownload that comes
with Dapper, terminal based btdownload and I've installed BtTornado, but
they all seem to behave the same.

I feel I'm missing some essential part of this jigsaw! Any clues anyone?

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold