Informing other users

Dieter Schicker dieter.schicker at uni-graz.at
Thu Sep 28 19:20:32 UTC 2006

Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 03:57:28PM +0200, Dieter Schicker wrote:
>> Peter Garrett wrote:

>>> Well, this works with ssh:
>>>
>>> ssh user at host xmessage -display :0 "Free Pizza upstairs in 5 minutes"
>> Thanks, works great!
>>
> Really? It shouldn't work if the user you're logging in as (yourself,
> presumably) is not the user that's logged in to the X server. Unless
> you're doing cunning things as root, of course.

No, I don't use ssh directly for that. I have a small secure SOAP Server
running on each client I communicate with. This daemon pops up the
information window on the desktop of the user. It's simple and it works. ;-)

What I'm still searching for is the ability to "freeze" the screen
behind the popup window (as it is done when a user wants to do
administrative tasks). I would not mind writing a small gtk-perl script
for that but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas?

Many thanks and cheers

Dieter