Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Graham Watkins gingecat_gw at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 28 10:58:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 10:57 +0100, srf21c wrote:
> I've been trying to ditch windows on my home pcs for about five years
> now.  Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 finally allowed me to realize that dream.
> After running Ubuntu for a few days, I decided to nuke the WinXP
> partition and haven't looked back since.
>

> It feels damn good to finally be free.  Free from  proprietary
> software, free from vendor lock-in, and free from closed standards.
>

> --
> srf21c

Although I still have Windows on my box (2000) I seem to have less and
less use for it. Sometimes I won't touch it for weeks then I'll go in,
run a few maintenance tasks which take an inordinately long time and by
then, I'm sick of the sight of it and have probably forgotten whatever I
went into it for in the first place. It will likely be off by the end of
the year as I have better uses for the space.

Ubuntu recognises my scanner - something Mandriva never managed to do.
This removes the main obstacle to my becoming Windows-free.  (Windows
and free are not two words you often see in the same sentence.)

Cheers,

Graham