Harddisk-Upgrade: /var/run and /var/lock not mounted tmpfs anymore

chrisccoulson ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Sep 28 09:01:32 UTC 2006

Have you managed to fix this yet? I haven't seen the how-to, but, when
you copied files across, did you omit the contents of /var/run and
/var/lock? I had a similar problem to you when I restored my system
from a tar archive. I had archived the contents of /var/run and
/var/lock, which prevented them from being mounted.

Furtherstill, having /var on a separate partition complicated things a
bit for me.

Firstly, I erased the contents of /var/run and /var/lock using the live
CD to mount the drive.

You have to then ensure that the empty folders /var/run and /var/lock
exist on your ROOT partition. Originally, I had an empty /var folder on
the root partition, then run and lock folders on the separate /var
partition. This didn't work for me and caused me tonnes of grief. I
assume this is due to the virtual filesystems being mounted before your
other entries in fstab are mounted. Thus, if /var hasn't been mounted
yet, then /var/run and /var/lock do not exist. This is probably why
when you run '/etc/rcS.d/S01mountvirtfs start' after you've booted, it
mounts them correctly (because /var has been mounted and /var/run and
/var/lock now exist).

If you've already fixed this, then ignore my post. But, if not, then
give it might be worth a try.

--
chrisccoulson