Open Source Java Decompiler

Gilles Gravier Gilles at Gravier.org
Wed Sep 27 08:59:17 UTC 2006

It depends on which country you are doing that in, and for which purposes.

Some countries allow decompilation (reverse engineering, in general) for
interoperability purposes. Some don't.

Some countries allow decompilation (reverse engineering, in general) for
purposes of finding security issues. Some don't.

But decompilation can also be used as a means to check whether your code
obfuscator does a proper job of obfuscating your code. :)

It's always legal to decompile your own stuff. Maybe you lost the code
or something.

Ages ago I had to maintain a COBOL application for which the source
wasn't available anymore (just parts of the source were still there)...
so decompilation would have been nice, instead of me having to patch
binaries (sometimes while running in memory).

Back to legality... check, very carefully, depending on your country,
what you are about to do.

Cheers,
Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
*=* *http://www.gravier.org/*