Sata disk with 16 bit IO_support

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe.alfaro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 19:31:22 UTC 2006

On 9/26/06, Joan Tur <joantur at cancullet.org> wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> My brand new laptop (LG LW20) has got a 1,8" sata disk drive; I've installed
> Kubuntu 6.06.1 in it, and have noticed that IO_support was 0 (16 bit),
> instead of 1 (32 bit).
>
> Running "hdparm -c1 /dev/sda" shows "HDIO_SET_32BIT failed: Invalid argument"

AFAIK, most of the tunables of hdparm are useless for SATA controllers
(only for PATA controllers). Anyways, you can be pretty sure you're
using 32-bit access, bus-master transfers to and from your hard disk,
since almost all SATA controllers do support bus-master and are based
on PCI or PCI-Express bus designs (not ISA).