crippled gnome by trying xgl/compiz

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Tue Sep 26 08:44:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 13:42 +0200, Marco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created a session profile to start xgl. Finally I could start gnome by
> reducing my xorg.conf to single monitor.
>
> Then in gnome console I entered:
> $ gnome-window-decorator
> $ compiz --replace gconf
> compiz.real: No composite extension
>
> Now I have the problem that all windows are missing the window-decorators
> and basic keyboard shortcuts are not working anymore. I can't move windows,
> switch windows, and also the taskbar is gone.
>
> Gnome is even crippled if I reboot and start a normal gnome session.
>
> How can I repair my system?

If you can get a terminal running, run 'metacity'.

If not, you might be able to sign in in safe mode, and add 'metacity' to
your ~/.gnomerc file. You may need to create .gnomerc if it doesn't
exist.

I've found that sometimes 'killall gnome-panel' will restore the panel.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
suppressingfire.org