Ubuntu getting overbranded?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Sep 25 20:30:01 UTC 2006

Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:

> Ubuntu is getting really great, but it's also getting really overbranded,
> every package are named package-1.0-123ubuntu123, which is in other
> distribution have only -i386 suffix.

That is one seriously mind-bogglingly nit-picky complaint.  Packages have
ubuntu suffixes to differentiate them from their Debian cousins.

> Launchpad translation only direct to specific distribution versus generic
> translations for use with debian, redhat, or any other distributions. Same
> with getting help online.

???  There doesn't seem to be a complaint or even a question there...

> And now, things are getting really complicated with super dependencies
> with apt, with ubuntu-meta.

That I'll agree with - but that's always been the case.  It certainly isn't
something that has only recently occurred?

> With these things, I'm wondering, is this really open source...

Do you have a clue what "open source" means?  None of this affects Ubuntu's
OSS credentials.
--
derek