ifconfig problem

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Sep 25 13:37:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:31:27AM -0400, Olaf Stein wrote:
> I am sure this has been asked before but I cannot find any solution to my
> problem
> I had to replace the nic in one of my ubuntu machines (webserver, no gui)
>
> The IP settings were obviously gone, I reconfigured with ifconfig and route,
> everything works until the next reboot. Do I have to setup a startup script
> with the nw settings or is there another way of making them stay?

The network configuration lives in /etc/network/interfaces.

Most likely you have a /etc/iftab file that reserves the eth0 interface
name for your old network card's MAC address.  Fix that file, and you
network is likely to come back.

Marius Gedminas
--
Hi. I'm the "I love you" .signature virus. You have been infected.
Please panic immediately.