hibernate hp nc6220 dapper

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sun Sep 24 23:57:22 UTC 2006

On 22/09/2006, at 2:13 AM, Jaime Davila wrote:

> James Gray wrote:
>> On 18/09/2006, at 1:59 AM, anmar wrote:
>>> I have the same problem with my Lenovo dual core 300 N100
>>> laptop.  Not
>>> sure how to fix it since the 915resolution script is not being
>>> run on
>>> resume, at least that is what I think is the problem.
>>
>> I missed the OP's message but FWIW, I never got sleep, suspend to
>> disk, or suspend to RAM (aka, "Hibernate") to work with my nc6230.
>> Gave up in the end and just used a normal shutdown.  That was with
>> Kubuntu 6.06LTS with all the updates to about August....then I gave
>> up and bought a MacBook Pro.  Still heavily into Linux, just not on
>> my desktop/laptop.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> James
>>

> I missed the original post too. But I'm curious about how you are
> requesting the hibernation/suspending. By pressing some function keys?
> Closing the lid?

I tried all sorts of methods; ACPI events (power button, lid close,
etc) and various scripts or just inserting ACPI events directly into /
proc.  The best I ever managed was to hibernate (by using the power
button), but due to ATi's buggy driver, the resume from hibernate
always resulted in hopelessly corrupt video state requiring a reboot
to fix.  The open-source ATi driver was fine, but didn't have 3D
acceleration which I needed.

> WRT a particular resume script not running: I've found that if an
> error
> is detected in one script, other scripts are not called. So the error
> might be in the previous script.

Yep - seen that one too.  So I hacked the resume scripts to always
return a "zero" (successful) exit status.  Still no joy - see above.

FWIW, I've heard ATi have fixed their X-series Linux drivers to
properly handle suspend/resume without corruption.  So I might need
to break out the work-supplied lappy again and see if I get any
further with the new driver. I love a challenge! :)

Cheers,

James