Sticky GRUB problem

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Sep 24 10:04:53 UTC 2006

Frank,

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 19:15 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

>    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of:) Guess I'll just continue cut/paste.
> Actually now that Dapper is (sort of) stable, it won't be that big of a problem.

Another approach is to put the boot loader of Edgy in sector zero of its
root partition. You can then edit menu.lst in Dapper to add an entry
that chain loads the boot loader of Edgy. Putting the entry outside the
automatically updated bits of the menu will keep it there during
upgrades etc.

Normal boot takes you to the Dapper boot menu, selecting the Edgy entry
will put you into a grub menu for Edgy.

The two instances of Ubuntu stay completely independent then, and no
re-partitioning!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold