wmvare workstation 4.5.2 on ubuntu

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe.alfaro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 01:15:12 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, Yuandan Zhang <yuandan.zhang at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/09/06, Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe.alfaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/21/06, Yuandan Zhang <yuandan.zhang at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I try to switch one PC from fedora core 5 to Ubuntu desktop. i have
> > > vmware workstation 4.5.2 on linux host. is it not diffcult to install
> > > the vmware on unbuntu? I am new to ubuntu.
> >

> > Are you sure it's VMWare 4.5.2? Don't you mean 5.5.2?
> >

> in fact it is vmware workstation 4.5.3. I don't want spend money to
> upgrade it

Well, you can try downloading the .tar.gz file from VMware's Web site and
try getting installed from it. The problem is, however, that I don't know if
VMware 4.5.3 propietary components are compatible with current 2.6 kernels.

In case of problems, I suggest applying the latest vmware-any-any patches
for VMWare from: http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/