Brother HL 2070N

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Sep 21 22:14:12 UTC 2006

Dieter Schicker wrote:
> Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:53, Richard Brown wrote:
>>> Oops I should have said that I have found this:
>>> <http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-68403.html>
>>> which is brilliant but.... (there is always a but!) I am using an athlon 64
>>> bit and it won't accept i386 packages.
>> Just had a bit of an idea and wonder if it is possible. I have an i386 machine
>> that I will be turning into a file server and also a thin client server. Is
>> it possible to turn it into a print server and if so how do I do it please?
>> Can you point me to a tutorial please?
>
> Hi,
>
> I recommend "cupsys" (see http://www.cups.org). It also has a nice web
> interface builtin that you can reach via http://localhost:631.
>
> Btw, I use the 2060 driver for our Brother 2070N and it works like a charm.
>
> Cheers
> Dieter

I concur I use cupsys for this purpose. The config file can be a little
tricky but you can email me if you get stuck and I'll send you mine.

As for the driver try the 2060 and report it here if it works, or try
the other recommendation on this page:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-2070N
Amd64 should be no issue.
I'd never seen that Brother Page on a CUPS wrapper, I've always just
used ppd files with my 5140D. But it's good to see Brother taking an
interest.

And at the bottom of their
page(http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html)
they do say

"# For AMD64 bit users:
Our CUPS drivers and CUPS wrapper drivers have been developed and
optimised for 32 bit Linux distributions, a list of which can be found here:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/linux_config_list2.html

However, if you are using an AMD64 bit distribution, we recommend you
try copying the file named "brlpdwrapper" from /usr/lib/cups/filter to
/usr/lib64/cups/filter.
"

Alex