Edgy is HOSED (initramfs?)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Sep 20 18:59:30 UTC 2006

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> I do find Edgy very exciting.

Oh dear.  We seem to have almost opposite experiences :-)

> First of all, fonts look extremely good, much better than Dapper or any
> other Linux distro I've ever used. I don't know if it's related to font
> smoothing, but I think it is related to the fonts itself since Arial still
> looks ugly.

Most fonts don't look any different, but every now and then I go into
something that gives me only the crudest possible fonts.  Very ugly.

> Second, there is upstart which makes booting Linux faster than using
> conventional init.

Great piece of work, but (a) I'm not sure that it's actually booting faster
right now - as everything is still run in the sysv sequence and (b) I still
can't get into single user mode.

> Third, it's Firefox 2.0, and OpenOffice 2.0.4, and GNOME 2.16 (which is
> pretty much the same),

I don't use Gnome anyway (but nothing big in KDE either).

> the new kernels,

I see nothing there that I need.

> NetworkManager which (for the very first time) works all the time,

Ugh!  It always worked for me since I started using it when dapper was in
its early stages.  In Edgy it broke.  I absolutely can not _stay_ connected
to a non-encrypted wireless net.  It comes up, then within 5 minutes
wpa_supplicant comes up, says "this network doesn't require keys" and
proceeds to bring the interface down.

> suspend to disk works perfectly on MBP,

s2d has worked for me for years.

> the new artwork is awesome, and so

The new artwork continually changes AND overrides any settings I've already
made.
--
derek