Edgy eft known problems to-date

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 21 07:34:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:24:11 -0400, Harry Wert wrote:

> Testing with Edgy beta 3 has gone well to-date.  I also see it as a
> substantial improvement over Dapper (which has been very good at this
> location).
> My remaining known problems are:
>
> 1) Mplayer and multimedia in general are pretty hosed. A "Critical" bug is in
> existence which addresses this matter so I expect to see it go away over the
> next few weeks.  "Flash" also is not up to date with the Windows version, but
> this is also expected to be resolved around the end of this year. In Dapper,
> mplayer works extremely well under Mozilla, Firefox, and Epiphany.
>
> 2) The new kernel 2.6.17-8 does not detect my Hauppage Model 42012 USB2 WinTv
> whereas with Dapper it works perfectly.  I had been told or read somewhere
> the "17" kernel was to offer an improvement over Dapper by activating the
> remote control which comes with the WinTv USB2.  Under Dapper, the remote
> does not work (known by the developers), but Tvtime offers excellent video.
>
> 3) With my IBM Thinkpad T21 test station for Edgy, resume and suspend now work
> correctly, the special keys on the keyboard worked automagically, but there
> is a problem with the initial Xserver install.  The Xserver hates Savage
> cards such as the one in this T21 laptop, which dates back over previous
> Ubuntu release cycles.  Edgy did a near flawless program install until reboot
> time, which as always with the T21, crashed (never started) the Xserver.  The
> solution (permanent) for this is to modify the xserver.org configuration file
> by changing the following section as shown here:
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV"
> 	Driver		"savage"
> 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
> 	Option		"BusType"	"PCI"
> 	Option		"DmaMode"	"none"
> EndSection
>
> It seems the Xserver and the DmaMode "ON" do not wish to coexist.
>
> Hope this helps critique is helpful to others.
>
> Keep it up Team Ubuntu. You are doing a great job.

Some "problems", you don't know how lucky you are...
On my AMD Opteron box with a fresh install of Knot 3:

1. usplash doesn't work, both while booting and shutting down.
2. soft lockups on both processor cores, requiring use of button to switch
computer off.
3. Synaptic and Update manager ask for root password, don't accept my
"sudo" password, so need to start these programmes from command line.
4. keyboard finetuning in System-Preferences not possible (function
doesn't start) -- annoying because repeat rate is now zero (also in any
editor like nano or vi).
5. apt-get fails at installing packages because file
/var/lib/dpkg/available is corrupted (dpkg parse errors), requiring me to
sudo dselect update almost every time.
6. most files in /var/lib/gconf/defaults have parse errors, it got to be
so annoying that I rm'ed all contents of this directory.

Add to that the awful new "fat look" of Gnome windows in Efty... I'm
getting most of my tinker-pleasure out of my Gentoo partition these days.