trouble switching between headphones and speakers on my laptop (Dell Latitude D820, Intel HDA driver)

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 20 18:05:22 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

i'm having difficulty switching between the headphones and the speakers
on my dell latitude d820.  usually what happens is that I plug in
headphones, and the sound switches to the phones; but if I unplug the
phones, the sound won't switch back to the speakers.  I've had other
problems too, sometimes not being able to  get any sound out of the
headphone jacks  (THere's another, probably unrelated problem when I
resume from hibernation or sleep -- in that case some process seems to
be hanging on to /dev/dsp, but I'm not sure what exactly the issue
is).

Any any case, it would be nice to figure out what blocks the switch from
phones to speakers, but I don't really know where to look.  In terms of
hardware and software:
lspci says:

0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

lsmod says:
~$ lsmod | grep -i intel
snd_hda_intel          20468  6
snd_hda_codec         163088  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                96708  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd                    60004  14 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc         11304  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
intel_agp              24700  1
agpgart                36784  1 intel_agp

ps says:
~$ ps aux  | grep -i esd
matt      5221  0.0  0.4   5804  4204 ?        Ss   Sep18   0:00 /usr/bin/esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 1 -spawnfd 18
matt     12487  0.0  0.0   2880   860 pts/5    S+   11:41   0:00 grep -i esd

anyone know where to look next?

thanks,

matt