Edgy is HOSED (initramfs?)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Sep 20 16:45:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:39:32 -0700 Scott <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com>
wrote:

>After Usplash I'm thrown into a BusyBox shell.
>
>Then it says
>
>  "can't access tty; job control off"
>(initramfs)"
>

>I have no idea what to do now (besides staying away from Edgy till it's
>released that is). The problem doesn't appear to be on my end, based on
>what's been going on.
>
>On the other hand, I'm surprised I'd not yet seen it mentioned here.

It is possible you've been bit by the same issue as got me a few weeks ago.
 I can't get you the bug # at the moment as I'm sending this via my phone,
so you'll have to search launchpad yourself.

One change in Edgy is to find the root of the file system by UUID instead
of device name.  The good news is this will mean you can move hard drives
around and GRUB will just work.  The bad news is that it's still a little
rough around the edges.

What you have to do is edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.  Find the bug in
launchpad for details, but what you have to do is point root= at the
appropriate device name (e.g. /dev/md0 in my case) instead of to the UUID.
You will have to do this for each kernel you want to be able to boot and
redo it each time after GRUB is updated (e.g. When you install a new
kernel).

Scott K