Screen resoluton

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Wed Sep 20 15:29:24 UTC 2006

> My original install of Ubuntu set itself at a default screen
> resolution of 640 X 480.
> The preferences panel has no other resolution offered .
> How can I remedy this? I usually run at 1024 x 768.
> thanks

edit the xorg.conf file adding the resolutions your system supports.

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Look for "Modes"

Mine looks like this:

Modes      "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624"
"800x600" "720x400" "640x480"

I had to add all but "1280x1024", which was added during the install.

If this doesn't work right off, you will likely have to create some
"Modelines" which is more complicated. Google is your friend here, since
someone likely has already done this on a system similar to yours.

You may also want to change your DefaultDepth to 24 if it isn't already.

--
Kevin C. Smith