Ubuntu and WinXP

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Mon Sep 18 20:34:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 12:04 +0930, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am at present trying to extol the virtues to a neighbour (new to
> Computers) who uses WinXP.
> He has just setup an Internet connection and has run foul of Adware,
> that his Virus checker finds but will not remove.
>
> My question is  ;  Is there anyway I can use the Live Ubuntu CD to
> remove it? I have tried, and have managed to remove 1 (an .exe), but the
> other will not, letting me know that the file is "Read Only",
> it's a .dll.  Have tried Knoppix with same result. If it can be done it
> should be something that will impress him as to the virtues of Ubuntu
> :-) Word is gradually getting around this small town.
Is his drive partitioned as fat32? If yes that's fine - if it's ntfs you
should be careful and read about ntfs support in linux. It's not
perfect.

Were you running a root terminal when you tried to delete these things?
In Knoppix just open terminal and type
$ sudo -s

to get a root terminal, I think it's the same from an Ubuntu Live CD.

Duncan

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk