Dapper: About kernel 2.6.15-27-386 and usb port...

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 19 14:15:53 UTC 2006

Patrick Gelin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just up to date my kernel to 2.6.15-27-386. Unfortunatly I notice
> that it do not correct the problem about usb port with my PDA: When I
> synchronize it then I lose the keyboard and I must reboot shuting down the
> electrical power!
>
> Any help is welcome!

Are you sure it's not a hardware problem?  We have a usb hub that has one
port that behaves very much like that.  We know it's hardware because (a)
you can plug the same device into any of the other three ports and it
works, and (b) when a device is plugged into the port, it's oriented
slightly out of line with the other plugs.  I suppose even if it is a
hardware problem, there might be a software way to prevent it messing with
anything else.

The other thing that comes to mind is that Palm PDAs, at least, don't
actually exist as devices until the "sync" button is pressed, and go away
when the sync is complete.  Perhaps udev is removing more devices than just
the PDA.  A look at /var/log/syslog as the sync finishes would be
informative.
--
derek