Sometimes Evince. Sometimes Adobe Reader

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Sep 19 14:12:53 UTC 2006

Marius Gedminas said...

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 09:14:40AM +0100, marc wrote:
> > marc said...
> > >=20
> > > When I open a local PDF doc via Nautilus or from the desktop, it opens=
> =20
> > > in Adobe Reader - as it should.
> > >=20
> > > When I open a PDF via Nautilus that happens to be on a Samba share, it=
> =20
> > > opens in Evince - which is shouldn't.
> > >=20
> > > In both cases, the 'Opens with' tab from Properties is identical and=20
> > > indicates that Adobe Reader should be used.
> > >=20
> > > Any ideas how this can be fixed?
> > >=20
> > > And what might the more general problem be?
> >=20
> > There's another problem:=20
> >=20
> > When right-clicking the and using "Open with..."
> >=20
> > 1. Open with Adobe Reader is not in the list.
> > 2. Using Open with Other Application and selecting Adobe Reader, Adobe=20
> > Reader opens, but the document is not loaded.
>
> For the very same reason: Adobe Reader cannot access Samba shares,
> because it doesn't use GNOME-VFS.
>
> > Back to KDE again!
>
> How will that solve your problem?

Because it honours the application assigned to the pdf file association.
More simply, it does what one would expect.

I'm not clear what you mean by: "Adobe Reader cannot access Samba
shares", since the problem does not occur in KDE. Adobe Reader shouldn't
have to use a specific protocol; that's what the intervening layers
between the file and app are for.

--
Best,
Marc