sshfs? (was Re: Sometimes Evince. Sometimes Adobe Reader)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 19 11:05:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:14:55 +1000
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> > For the very same reason: Adobe Reader cannot access Samba shares,
> > because it doesn't use GNOME-VFS.
>
> Musing: Has anyone, anywhere, written a VFSFS that makes a VFS look
> "real", i.e, gives it a normal-looking path, but does the whole proto://
> thing underneath?
>
> If not, why not? :-)

I think you might find sshfs interesting :-)

I use it with rox filer and a three line script to more or less substitute
for NFS between my desktop and laptop over wireless. Installing it and
using it is pretty simple:

sudo apt-get install sshfs
sudo adduser peter fuse
echo "fuse" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

logout/in to make the addition to the fuse group stick... then for example

mkdir -p sshfs/wifi
sshfs your-remote-box:  sshfs/wifi

open the "sshfs/wifi" dir and there are the files, from your home dir on
the remote machine.

To unmount, do

fusermount -u sshfs/wifi

That's about it really ( you used to need to do "sudo modprobe fuse" after
the install but I think the package now does that by default. )

My little scripts say something like this :
#!/bin/bash

sshfs wifi: /home/peter/sshfs/wifi

rox -n /home/peter/sshfs/wifi

fusermount -u /home/peter/sshfs/wifi

I have an icon for each remote ssh server, linked to a script like the
above, and just click
- when I close rox, it disconnects :-)

I like it ...

Peter